- A voodoo priest.More example sentences
- I've been very interested to know more about the bokor, but most of what I've read has been by anthropologist-types or mainstream houngans / mambos, who look on them with distaste and fear.
- Hex pretends to be a houngan, but he's actually an Arawak.
- There are also bush priests who read specific Catholic prayers at funerals and other ceremonial occasions, and hounsi, initiated females who serve as ceremonial assistants to the houngan or manbo.
early 20th century: from Fon, from hun, a deity represented by a fetish, + ga 'chief'.
More definitions of hounganDefinition of houngan in:
- The US English dictionary