- A black-and-white Eurasian songbird of the swallow family, often building its mud nest on the walls of buildings.
More example sentences
- Genus Delichon, family Hirundinidae: three species, in particular the widespread D. urbica
- In dry conditions when wet mud is difficult to obtain swallows will take over old nests of other birds including house martins and blackbirds.
- Even more resourceful are house martins nesting on ships.
- These woodpeckers have also regularly attacked colonies of nesting house martins by clinging to the side of the inverted mud dome and chipping away a hold.