A common brown and grey sparrow that nests in the eaves and roofs of houses, common from Europe to southern Asia and introduced elsewhere.
- Passer domesticus, family Passeridae (or Ploceidae)
More example sentences
- The usual birds of winter were out there - chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, doves, starlings, mockingbirds, house sparrows, white-throats, mallards, and black ducks - but nothing remarkable.
- The oldest recorded Old World sparrow was a house sparrow that lived to be 13 years and 4 months in the wild.
- The house sparrow was introduced to multiple locations in North America from Europe in the 1850s.
Definition of house sparrow in:
- The US English dictionary