(also household word)
- A person or thing that is well known by the public: he’d never become a household name, unlike his famous younger brotherMore example sentences
- Over the past twelve months, he has rocketed from being a relative unknown in the eyes of the public to a household name.
- HARVARD PHILOSOPHER John Rawls's name is not a household word, but it is unusually well-known around universities.
- With pricey new building projects, more graduate programs, an increased attention to research, and a renewed emphasis on faith, Baylor's name would become a household word.
More definitions of household nameDefinition of household name in:
- The US English dictionary