Definition of housewife in English:
noun (plural housewives)
1A married woman whose main occupation is caring for her family, managing household affairs, and doing housework: the traditional division of labour between the husband as breadwinner and wife as housewife I am not just a housewife, I am an accountant, nurse, negotiator, cook, driver
More example sentences
- If a black housewife, your main consideration will be how you are going to feed a hungry family of six or seven people when your husband's out of work.
- Adverts showing a housewife doing the family wash seem old - fashioned, but familiar.
- I am a housewife raising a family, paying a mortgage and doing the usual things that people do.
2 /ˈhʌzɪf/ A small case for needles, thread, and other small sewing items.
- My partner also has his "housewife" from National Service in the RAF in the 1950s, mostly spent in Egypt.
- A typical sewing kit or "housewife" contained needles, thread, buttons, scissors, etc. for that purpose.
- Example sentences
- In previous eras girls usually followed a distinctive curriculum, such as the polite accomplishments or the housewifely curriculum or cultural studies or domestic science courses.
- She recalls her mother's initial disappointment when she abandoned architecture to take up cooking - a career that had a housewifely ring to it.
- Then there are the usual housewifely chores - planning the menu, getting odd jobs done around the house.
- Example sentences
- She turned her attention to the domestic work of housewifery, besides continuing her literary efforts at revising her writings.
- The latter proclaims that it educates future leaders in a noble tradition when in fact it ushers future leaders' wives into the art of housewifery.
- People, mostly women, felt suddenly obliged to ignite their creativity with their housewifery.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia