Entry from US English dictionary
1The beginning of construction of a new house.
- These were orders for manufacturers, M1B money supply, housing start applications, stock prices and average monthly working hours in the manufacturing sector, the council said.
- Out of the seven components making up the index, only housing start applications were up from the previous month.
- With the recent pace of new-home sales running faster than that of housing starts, new home construction may yet have some potential for further gains in coming months.
1.1 (housing starts) The number of new houses begun during a particular period, used as an indicator of economic conditions.
- For very short lead times, the monthly Census figures on building permits accurately predict housing starts, which become construction put in place over the next several months.
- New housing starts slowed at the beginning of this year, reflecting the slowdown in blueprint sales a few months earlier.
- This is partly because of the way that housing starts - China's proxy for floor space under construction - are reported.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: hous·ing start
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.