- A migratory whitefish with a pointed snout. Now rare, it is found mainly in the Baltic and adjacent rivers.
More example sentences
- Coregonus oxyrhinchus, family Salmonidae
- The prominent species are: Coregonus lavaretus, known as houting in its purely freshwater form, or as powan (Loch Lomond in Scotland), skelly (the English Lake District), and gwyniad.
- The houting is a protected species, but although the fish were released, it must be assumed that many died.
- In 1987 66,000 fry were released in the river and in a few other south Jutland rivers from which the houting has disappeared since the beginning of the century.
late 19th century: from Dutch, from Middle Dutch houtic, of unknown origin.