- 1A tumulus or barrow.More example sentences
- By far the commonest type of monument is the round barrow, known locally as a howe.
- 1.1 [in place names] A hill.More example sentences
- The authors believe the church is a part of a twelve and a half mile ley that joins Lastingham Church, the Black Howe Barrow and Dargate Dikes.
- A short distance south of Shap village, the Kemp Howe stone circle is cut in two by the West Coast Main Line Railway.
Middle English: from Old Norse haugr 'mound', from a Germanic base meaning 'high'.