1 informal A very stupid or glaring mistake, especially an amusing one: the occasional schoolboy howler would amuse the examiners
More example sentences
- Now mistakes - even howlers - are made by every columnist from time to time.
- We made mistakes, we made howlers, not just me but Del and Tony alike.
- This led him to make this mistake, a howler for anyone who has even a passing acquaintance with prominent conservative commentators.
2 (also howler monkey) A fruit-eating monkey with a prehensile tail and a loud howling call, native to the forests of tropical America.
- Genus Alouatta, family Cebidae: several species
- Many smaller animals have also joined the collection: siamang gibbons, provost squirrels, howler monkey, armadillo and the elusive mona monkeys.
- The dam would flood the Macal River valley - a so-called ‘Biogem’ of rain forest and fertile flood plain that is home to many endangered species like the howler monkey, jaguar, and tapir.
- The howler monkey that Stephens observed on Barro Colorado Island was feasting on fruit near its peak ripeness - when its ethanol content is about 1 percent.
Words that rhyme with howlerfowler, growler, prowler, scowler
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.