Definition of huckleberry in English:
noun (plural huckleberries)
1A soft edible blue-black fruit resembling a currant.
- These include berries, especially huckleberries, fruits, nuts, bulbs, and tubers.
- We have feasted not only on blackberries but also on huckleberries, plums, apples, lamb's quarters, and dandelions.
- In a saucepan, combine the huckleberries, elderfloxver syrup, and lemon juice.
2The low-growing North American plant of the heather family which bears the huckleberry.
- Genus Gaylussacia, family Ericaceae
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Recently, volunteer crews dug up a variety of forest plants including huckleberry, sword fern, deer fern and maple vine from the low elevation filtration site.
- It was a wilderness of cathedral-like redwoods, of ferns and huckleberries, oaks and stately firs, and a myriad of flowers and wildlife.
Late 16th century: probably originally a dialect name for the bilberry, from dialect huckle 'hip, haunch' (because of the plant's jointed stems).
Words that rhyme with huckleberrySudbury • mulberry
Definition of huckleberry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan