Definition of Hughie in English:
nounAustralian /NZ informal
- send her (or it) down, Hughie
- Australian /NZ informal An appeal for rain: as a farmer he would say, ‘send her down, Hughie’More example sentences
- While we're singing I'll be saying a silent prayer, asking Hughie to send her down—not just cats and dogs, but elephants too.
- With the rain drizzling yet again I suspect many farmers have received their presents early; let's hope Hughie keeps sending her down for many weeks to come.
- “Send her down Hughie,” I said to nobody.
Early 20th century: diminutive of the given name Hugh. The phrase send her down, Hughie may have developed from the British variant send it down, David, which dates from the 1920s.
Words that rhyme with Hughiebluey, chewy, chop suey, cooee, Dewey, dewy, Drambuie, feng shui, gluey, gooey, hooey, Louie, Louis, phooey, rouille, screwy, Wanganui
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.