noun( • trademark in the UK)
- An electric guitar pickup containing two magnetic coils rather than a single one, which gives a high output and minimizes hum from electrical interference: the humbucker allows for classic rock, heavy metal, and other types of rock [as modifier]: the humbucker tones are fantasticMore example sentences
- Since the 1950s, electric guitars have used ‘humbucker’ pickups to turn the vibrations of a string into an electric current of the same frequencies and harmonics.
- It's lighter than a Les Paul but, with two humbucker pickups, this guitar is still a monster.
- If you use a guitar with super high output humbuckers you may have to lower the volume.
More definitions of humbuckerDefinition of humbucker in:
- The US English dictionary