- They stripped him of his dignity and tried humiliating him by showing him throughout the world.
- If I'm out in public with a woman who is doing her best to embarrass or humiliate me, I'll walk away.
- I've known my friend for a long time, but she humiliates me in front of my other friends.
- Example sentences
- But public humiliation has become taboo at work, indicting the humiliator more than the humiliated.
- It wanted to humiliate the humiliators and to be seen to be morally in charge.
- Mixed with distress and shame is intense rage at his humiliators.
Mid 16th century (earlier (late Middle English) as humiliation): from late Latin humiliat- 'made humble', from the verb humiliare, from humilis (see humble). The original meaning was 'bring low'; the current sense dates from the mid 18th century.
Words that rhyme with humiliateaffiliate, ciliate, conciliate
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hu¦mili|ate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.