Making someone feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and pride: a humiliating defeat
More example sentences
- Soon they were joined by many soldiers who judged the agreement humiliating.
- The Opium War, also called the Anglo-Chinese War, was the most humiliating defeat China ever suffered.
- He was trapped, there was no way the commitments could be reduced without humiliating admissions of defeat.
- Example sentences
- The fact is that executing people, unless you do it publicly, horribly and humiliatingly, has no deterrent effect.
- A notice to this effect was humiliatingly nailed to the door of one of Brighton's principal churches.
- He's been a drug addict and a vagrant, and was once humiliatingly pursued by police over an unpaid cafe bill.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hu¦mili|at¦ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.