1 Medicine Relating to the body fluids, especially with regard to immune responses involving antibodies in body fluids as distinct from cells (see cell-mediated).
- Still, some cell-mediated and humoral immune system responses may be slightly impaired by heavy marijuana use.
- Both humoral and cell-mediated immune mechanisms influence the outcome of the infection.
- Patients with humoral primary immunodeficiencies have an intact cellular immune system; thus, they are able to handle most viral and fungal pathogens, a factor that can help to distinguish these disorders clinically.
1.1 historical Relating to the four bodily humours.
- Holistic medicine, which for centuries had been associated with the humours, still exists - though largely bereft of humoral theory - as alternative medicine.
- In ancient Greek history, bloodletting was practiced according to the humoral theory, which proposed that when the four humors, blood, phlegm, black and yellow bile in the human body were in balance, good health was guaranteed.
- In humoral physiology a good fever was seen to eliminate impurities from the body and clarify all the humours.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hu|moral
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.