- The organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.More example sentences
- Incidentally, soil rich in organic humus will hold more water longer and be more drought-resistant.
- An all-purpose potting mix has composted bark, peat moss or peat humus added to loamy soil.
- Mature compost is a complex organic material that has been transformed into stable humus by microorganisms.
late 18th century: from Latin, 'soil'.
More definitions of humusDefinition of humus in:
- The US English dictionary