Definition of huntsman in English:
noun (plural huntsmen)
1A person who hunts.
- A meet is arranged in a particular area and huntsmen don their hunting pinks (really red), black riding hats and set off behind the pack of hounds.
- Police in the Borders said they would be ready to act to prevent any clashes with hunt saboteurs and huntsmen.
- Even if I accept the reasons for fox hunting I fail to see why a whole pack of huntsmen are needed.
1.1A hunt official in charge of hounds.
- Ferreters love their animals with the severe military love that attaches the falconer to his bird and the huntsman to his hounds.
- ‘Nobody loves his hounds more than a huntsman,’ he says.
- The huntsman was in charge of a pack of dogs that followed the scent of the stag until it was cornered or exhausted.
Words that rhyme with huntsmanhuntsmen
Definition of huntsman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan