Definition of huntsman in English:
noun (plural huntsmen)
1A person who hunts.
- A meet is arranged in a particular area and huntsmen don their hunting pinks (really red), black riding hats and set off behind the pack of hounds.
- Police in the Borders said they would be ready to act to prevent any clashes with hunt saboteurs and huntsmen.
- Even if I accept the reasons for fox hunting I fail to see why a whole pack of huntsmen are needed.
1.1A hunt official in charge of hounds.
- Ferreters love their animals with the severe military love that attaches the falconer to his bird and the huntsman to his hounds.
- ‘Nobody loves his hounds more than a huntsman,’ he says.
- The huntsman was in charge of a pack of dogs that followed the scent of the stag until it was cornered or exhausted.
Words that rhyme with huntsmanhuntsmen
Definition of huntsman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.