(also huzzah) archaic
Used to express approval or delight: someone yelled ‘Huzza!’
More example sentences
- I was pretty English-white when I got back, so I've burnt a lot, but that's tanning quite well, and my sexy tan line is back in action, huzzah!
- The best Canadian novel about insects is back in print - huzzah!
- His keyboard skills are to be saluted, and I have been promised a copy of his band's CD, huzzah!
verb (huzzas, huzzaed, huzzaing)[no object]
Cry ‘huzza’: he huzzaed at the top of his voice
More example sentences
- Most of the time they seem to have gathered ‘in great concourse,’ huzzahed when appropriate, and gone home to illuminate their houses to show approval.
- If this is all so, then huzzah for whichever presidents have selected the cheaper option.
- They huzzah as they reached the outskirts of Starla.
Late 16th century: perhaps used originally as a sailor's cry when hauling.
Words that rhyme with huzzaaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
Definition of huzza in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.