- A compound of hydrogen and carbon, such as any of those which are the chief components of petroleum and natural gas: the rain is rich in benzene and hydrocarbons [as modifier]: a 70 per cent cut in hydrocarbon emissions [mass noun]: the North Sea is a source of hydrocarbonMore example sentences
- This catalyst is responsible for converting carbon monoxide and the other hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide.
- Biodiesel reduces emissions such as carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons and particulate matter.
- Nitrogen oxides can react with hydrocarbons to yield nitric acid, a primary ingredient in acid rain.
More definitions of hydrocarbonDefinition of hydrocarbon in:
- The US English dictionary