Relating to or denoting the generation of electricity using flowing water (typically from a reservoir held behind a dam or barrage) to drive a turbine which powers a generator: economic and environmental aspect of the hydroelectric scheme
More example sentences
- To generate electricity, we use hydroelectric power, coal and nuclear energy.
- Electricity generated through the use of waterwheels or hydraulic turbines is known as hydroelectric power.
- This followed, in turn, the construction of dams in the various catchments, for irrigation and/or hydroelectric power generation.
- Example sentences
- This changed only when a way of extracting the metal using cheap hydroelectricity was developed.
- Under normal circumstances, hydroelectricity contributed between 15 and 20 per cent to the national power production, but recently that has increased to 40 per cent.
- It is likely that nuclear fission, hydroelectricity, wind power and direct solar power will be important sources for future electricity generation.
Words that rhyme with hydroelectricelectric, photoelectric
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hydro|elec¦tric
Definition of hydroelectric in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.