- A coelenterate of an order which includes the hydras. They are distinguished by the dominance of the polyp phase.
More example sentences
- Order Hydroida, class Hydrozoa
- Aside from its temporary and permanently resident fish, the underside is decorated with sponges, hydroids, tunicates, tube worms, cup corals and anemones.
- There were dense walls of soft corals, sponges, anemones and hydroids, nudibranchs, creepy-crawlies and lots of fish.
- On the walls are a riot of soft corals, sponges, hydroids and anemones in all shapes and sizes.
adjectiveBack to top
- 1Relating to coelenterates of the hydroid group.More example sentences
- He had shown that hydroid jellyfish known as naked-eyed medusae reproduce not only by spewing eggs, but also by asexual budding, which he found marvelous to behold.
- The hydroid tissues, in particular, are the general run of moss water storage cells and are probably only remotely related to the xylem of tracheophytes.
- Before long, similar green proteins were detected in many bioluminescent coelenterates including various medusae, apparently all luminescent hydroid polyps, and a few others.
- 1.1 another term for polypoid ( sense 1).
More definitions of hydroidDefinition of hydroid in:
- The US English dictionary