noun[usually with modifier] Biochemistry
- An enzyme that catalyses the hydrolysis of a particular substrate.More example sentences
- Thus, although not a nudix hydrolase, this enzyme seems to fulfil the housecleaning role proposed for nudix hydrolases.
- More recent work suggests that the cell wall hydrolase, pectin methyl esterase, plays a role in weakening of the megagametophyte, allowing radicle emergence and the completion of germination.
- Biopterin is a vital cofactor in tryptophan hydrolase's conversion of tryptophan to serotonin.
More definitions of hydrolaseDefinition of hydrolase in:
- The US English dictionary