noun[mass noun] Chemistry
The chemical breakdown of a compound due to reaction with water.
More example sentences
- Another preparation method involves acid hydrolysis of methyl formate.
- On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.
- Digestion breaks down chemical bonds in a process called enzymatic hydrolysis.
- More example sentences
- Protein phosphatases comprise a broad group of enzymes that catalyse the hydrolytic cleavage of phosphate from proteins.
- Results showed that increasing the pectolyase concentration in the hydrolytic solutions led to an increase of the digestibility of elicited cell walls.
- They form acidic, hydrolytic compartments and also store a range of ions and metabolites and, in some tissues, proteins and other macromolecules.
Definition of hydrolysis in:
- The US English dictionary