Having a tendency to mix with, dissolve in, or be wetted by water: The opposite of hydrophobic. hydrophilic amino acids the hydrophilic mesh pulls perspiration away from the body
More example sentences
- Since the phosphate group is water soluble, this part of the molecule tends to be hydrophilic.
- This phenomenon may be explained by the fact that ethanol molecules have a hydrophilic tail.
- The presence of a hydrophilic solvent such as water is needed to maintain a discoidal lipid/protein structure.
- More example sentences
- Physical chemical properties were polar requirement, hydrophilicity, molecular weight, and volume.
- The lack of activity of methylene blue when injected intravenously or intravesically may result from poor tumor localization because of its high hydrophilicity.
- This is because of their unique biological inertness, which is considered to result from hydrophilicity and chain mobility as well as lack of ionic charges.
More definitions of hydrophilicDefinition of hydrophilic in:
- The US English dictionary