Definition of hydrophilous in English:
(Of a plant) water-pollinated.
- During the period of its existence the hydrophilous flora has undergone transformations but preserved many features of natural flora.
- Aside from the hydrophilous pollination mechanism, the pollen grain morphology is also very distinct.
- Pollen grains are filamentous and pollination is hydrophilous.
- Example sentences
- This is called surface hydrophily and is relatively rare.
- Subaqueous pollination, or hydrophily, has been discussed repeatedly in the light of limited success of fertilization in the aqueous medium.
- The origins and evolution of marine angiosperms and hydrophily in the subclass were also estimated.
Definition of hydrophilous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan