Definition of hydrophyte in English:
A plant which grows only in or on water.
- Emergents are the most studied of hydrophytes and probably the most useful to man.
- A floristic inventory of phanerogamic hydrophytes from the temporary swampy environments of coastal plains of northern of Rio de Janeiro State was made.
- Several researchers have shown that this is not the case, that hydrophytes in submerged soils can develop substantial mycorrhizal infection.
- Example sentences
- Exodermis with Casparian bands was found in roots of hydrophytic, mesophytic and xerophytic species and in members of primitive as well as advanced families.
- Particularly where shallow drainage channels dissect the terrain, more hydrophytic species can occur in lower microsites and less hydrophytic species in higher places all within the same stand.
Definition of hydrophyte in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.