Definition of hydrothermal in English:
Relating to or denoting the action of heated water in the earth’s crust.
- It contains structures called hydrothermal (hot water) vents, which spew superheated fluids into the seawater.
- Because hydrothermal water is rich in certain metals, like manganese, an increase in the concentration in a sample can point to a vent.
- Some scientists lump ocean water with meteoric, whereas others regard it as a separate type of water in hydrothermal systems.
- Example sentences
- The deposits occur as veins, vein series, and stockwork zones hosted by hydrothermally altered rocks.
- A third of the original edifice was removed, mainly from the southern part, leaving exposed a hydrothermally altered core.
- They have an underlying hydrothermally altered zone and contain abundant copper, zinc, and lead sulphides.
Definition of hydrothermal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan