- A doglike African mammal with forelimbs that are longer than the hindlimbs and an erect mane. Hyenas are noted as scavengers but most are also effective hunters.
More example sentences
- Family Hyaenidae: two genera, in particular Hyaena, and three species
- Although similar in appearance to hyenas, African wild dogs are nevertheless true wild canidae.
- Golden jackals, hyenas and even leopards are present but very rarely seen.
- I have been filming for 14 years now, working with hyenas, leopards, and jackals.
Middle English: via Latin from Greek huaina, feminine of hus 'pig' (the transference of the term probably being because the animal's mane was thought to resemble a hog's bristles).
More definitions of hyenaDefinition of hyena in:
- The US English dictionary