noun[mass noun] Philosophy
- The doctrine that all matter has life.More example sentences
- Animism was the widespread expression of this stage, hylozoism one of its later, conceptual forms.
- In contemporary philosophical language these would be the doctrines of hylozoism and animism.
- I want you to be mindful of what is called hylozoism and reification in philosophy.
late 17th century: from hylo- 'matter' + Greek zōē 'life'.
More definitions of hylozoismDefinition of hylozoism in:
- The US English dictionary