Definition of hymenium in English:
noun (plural hymenia hʌɪˈmiːnɪə)Botany
(In higher fungi) a surface consisting mainly of spore-bearing structures (asci or basidia).
- This middle layer is subtended by the hymenium which was also devoid of epiphytic organisms.
- Since the perithecium grows out into the medium from the hymenium after nuclear pairing, this is ascohymenial development.
- Unlike some related, duller-coloured species, the hymenium does not turn blood-red when it is scratched.
Early 19th century: from Greek humenion, diminutive of humēn 'membrane'.
- Example sentences
- Then there will be either lamellae, or gills, or pores, with hymenial layers bearing the basidia.
- Beneath the gills there is a cavity, the hymenial chamber, which is still closed in this illustrated sample.
- If you cannot see them properly, push gently on the cover slip until the hymenial elements lie free in the medium.
Definition of hymenium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan