The singing or composition of hymns.
More example sentences
- Where should we stand with church architecture, hymnody, liturgical elements and the like?
- Cyberspace will not eclipse the Eucharist or destroy Protestant hymnody, although it might frustrate a lot of liturgists and composers!
- She attends to the scriptural basis of prayer and hymnody, as well as reading and sermon.
early 18th century: via medieval Latin from Greek humnōidia, from humnos 'hymn'.
- More example sentences
- Father John went on to become one of the two best hymnodists among the Greek Fathers.
- The familiar adaptation used here is the work of Thomas Helmore, a nineteenth-century hymnodist.
- The great hymnodist alludes to the transferral of the bones in his Carmina Nisibena.
Definition of hymnody in:
- The US English dictionary