Anatomy & Zoology
Definition of hyoid in English:
(also hyoid bone) A U-shaped bone in the neck which supports the tongue.
- In most vertebrates the hyoid supports the tongue, as it does in the snake-necked turtle.
- I included all muscles associated with the jaws, tongue and hyoid, palate, and pharynx.
- Freeing the tongue from the hyoid removes a limit on tongue excursion imposed by the basic architecture of the mammalian feeding apparatus.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the hyoid or structures associated with it.
- Speech requires flexibility of the upper airway, including laryngeal and hyoid mobility and separation of the hard palate from the epiglottis.
- Again, we see that the mandibular and hyoid arches are developmentally different from the rest of the series.
- The mechanism by which these fish capture prey involves upper jaw protrusion, lower jaw depression, hyoid depression, and cranial rotation.
Early 19th century: via French from modern Latin hyoïdes, from Greek huoeidēs 'shaped like the letter upsilon (υ)'.
Definition of hyoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.