noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A poisonous compound present in henbane, with similar properties to hyoscine.
- Chemical formula: C17H23NO3
More example sentences
- The tropane alkaloids scopolamine and hyoscyamine were extracted and analysed from N. tabacum cultured hairy roots.
- In all preceding studies, alkaloid production was measured as scopolamine and hyoscyamine only.
- Scopolamine and hyoscyamine are most concentrated in the seeds and can cause anticholinergic poisoning in exposed persons.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin hyoscyamus (from Greek huoskuamos 'henbane', from hus, huos 'pig' + kuamos 'bean') + -ine4.
Definition of hyoscyamine in:
- The US English dictionary