Definition of hyperbola in English:
noun (plural hyperbolas or hyperbolae /-liː/)
1A symmetrical open curve formed by the intersection of a circular cone with a plane at a smaller angle with its axis than the side of the cone.
- There are many topics covered in the book including a study of circles, triangles, geometric series, ellipses, parabolas and hyperbolas.
- Let us begin where we left off, with the quadratic curves known as the circle, ellipse, hyperbola and parabola.
- There are three non-degenerate conics: the ellipse, the parabola, and the hyperbola.
1.1 Mathematics The pair of hyperbolas formed by the intersection of a plane with two equal cones on opposite sides of the same vertex.
- He read Wallis's method for finding a square of equal area to a parabola and a hyperbola which used indivisibles.
- The equation of this curve can be shown to be that of a hyperbola whose curvature is inversely related to the value of V.
- The first shows that if AB is a fixed line then locus of a point P such that 2 angle PAB = angle PBA is a hyperbola.
Definition of hyperbola in:
- US English dictionary