Excessively and unreasonably critical, especially of small faults: he was a sarcastic, hypercritical man
More example sentences
- Why should anyone care if Hollywood occasionally forgets to be hypercritical about American history?
- ‘It's all hypercritical when you think about,’ he adds.
- But Johnson thinks citizens are being hypercritical of the police to deflect attention from themselves.
carping, captious, overcritical, fault-finding, hair-splitting, cavilling, niggling, quibbling, pedantic, pettifogging, fussy, finicky, over-censorious, over-exacting, over-rigorous, over-particular, over-strict
Scottish & Irish pass-remarkable
North American informal persnickety
archaic nice, overnice
- Example sentences
- What I hadn't done is take a look at it as hypercritically as I do the poor saps who end up on G&F.
- With this in mind, the avionics departments looked hypercritically at the prospect of buying new equipment.
- Try stepping outside yourself and look at your resume hypercritically, as an employer looking to hire you would.
Words that rhyme with hypercriticalanalytical, apolitical, critical, cryptanalytical, diacritical, eremitical, geopolitical, hypocritical, political, socio-political, subcritical
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hyper|crit¦ic¦al
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.