Excessively and unreasonably critical, especially of small faults: he was a sarcastic, hypercritical man
More example sentences
- Why should anyone care if Hollywood occasionally forgets to be hypercritical about American history?
- ‘It's all hypercritical when you think about,’ he adds.
- But Johnson thinks citizens are being hypercritical of the police to deflect attention from themselves.
carping, captious, overcritical, fault-finding, hair-splitting, cavilling, niggling, quibbling, pedantic, pettifogging, fussy, finicky, over-censorious, over-exacting, over-rigorous, over-particular, over-strict
North American informal persnickety
archaic nice, overnice
- More example sentences
- What I hadn't done is take a look at it as hypercritically as I do the poor saps who end up on G&F.
- With this in mind, the avionics departments looked hypercritically at the prospect of buying new equipment.
- Try stepping outside yourself and look at your resume hypercritically, as an employer looking to hire you would.