Forcefully extend a limb or joint beyond its normal limits, either in exercise or therapy or so as to cause injury: he hyperextended his left knee during the last game
More example sentences
- They ensure that the patient's hips and knees are not hyperextended.
- Those who tend to hyperextend the neck due to chorea or dystonia should be encouraged and reminded to use a ‘chin-tuck’ position.
- Exercises should be done in a controlled manner, over a full range of motion and without hyperextending the joints.
- Example sentences
- Two patients underwent subsequent arthroscopic surgery for a cyclops lesion that limited full hyperextension in the knee.
- Digital nerve block followed by hyperextension and longitudinal traction successfully reduces the dislocation.
- The shoulder roll allows for hyperextension of the neonate's head, which provides greater exposure of the surgical site.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hyper|extend
Definition of hyperextend in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.