A substance found in St John’s wort, credited with chemical and pharmacological properties similar to those of antidepressants.
- A polycyclic quinone; chemical formula: C30H14O8
More example sentences
- St.John's Wort contains hypericin, which inhibits monoamine oxidase, a chemical associated with depression.
- The antitumor properties of St. John's wort are attributed to hypericin, which is a powerful photosensitizer.
- Today, St. John's wort standardized to 0.3% hypericin easily outsells its pharmaceutical rival, Prozac, and its derivatives.
Definition of hypericin in:
- The US English dictionary