- A very large self-service store with a wide range of goods and a large car park, typically situated outside a town.More example sentences
- If they all close down because of competition from big hypermarkets five miles outside town, and you haven't got a car, what do you do?
- The Shanghai-based retailer operates 2,706 outlets, including hypermarkets, supermarkets and convenience stores.
- In addition to department stores and specialty chain stores, hypermarkets are proliferating in Taiwan.
1970s: translation of French hypermarché, from hyper- 'beyond, exceeding' + marché 'market'.
More definitions of hypermarketDefinition of hypermarket in:
- The US English dictionary