- A word with a broad meaning constituting a category into which words with more specific meanings fall; a superordinate. For example, colour is a hypernym of red. Contrasted with hyponym.More example sentences
- The WordNet online interface lets you browse the synonyms and hypernyms (X is a hypernym of Y if Y is a type of X) of far too many words.
- We evaluate the various approaches comparing their hypernym suggestion with the Dutch part of EuroWordNet.
- In fact, adding proper hypernyms to a synset can dramatically increase the inherited properties of that synset.
More definitions of hypernymDefinition of hypernym in:
- The US English dictionary