Definition of hyperventilate in English:
1Breathe or cause to breathe at an abnormally rapid rate, so increasing the rate of loss of carbon dioxide: [no object]: she started to hyperventilate under stress [with object]: the patients were hyperventilated for two minutes
More example sentences
- In times of extreme stress, people may shake uncontrollably, hyperventilate (breathe faster and deeper than normal) or even vomit.
- Subjects may hyperventilate for several minutes before diving to increase underwater time.
- These changes contribute to the high anion gap that hyperventilating patients may demonstrate, as observed initially in this patient.
- Example sentences
- And it would cause the hyperventilation to go away.
- Also required are mantras that can pace inhalations and exhalations, so as not to give the impression of hyperventilation.
- My wife, Erin, translated what I was trying to say through grunts, screams, and hyperventilation, into words.
Words that rhyme with hyperventilateventilate
Definition of hyperventilate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan