noun[mass noun] Photography
The chemical sodium thiosulphate (formerly called hyposulphite) used as a photographic fixer.
- I use four teaspoons of hypo (sodium thiosulfate) in a liter of water and add a quarter-ounce of solution B.
- Salted paper is usually fixed in a 10% solution of hypo (100 grams of sodium thiosulfate in 1 liter of water) for 10 minutes.
- The print was toned for 2 minutes in selenium toner, followed by a 3 minute wash, 3 minutes in hypo clearing agent, and a 1 hour wash.
Mid 19th century: abbreviation of hyposulphite.
Words that rhyme with hypotypo
noun (plural hypos)
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
noun (plural hypos)informal
An attack of hypoglycaemia.
- I am now very sympathetic to the plight of the diabetic; I wouldn't want to have to suffer a hypo attack on a regular basis.
- There are times when he seems to be having a hypo where he clearly cannot concentrate, when he cannot focus.
- Faulty carbohydrate metabolism by the liver will cause blood glucose to radically rise or fall causing either hypo or hyperglycemia.
Late 20th century: abbreviation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan