- An ancient Roman heating system, comprising a hollow space under the floor of a building, into which hot air was directed.More example sentences
- Other mosaics, fountains and hypocausts came to light, and room after room as the palatial villa was uncovered.
- Following St Johns Street opposite Newgate Street are public gardens containing columns, a reconstructed hypocaust and various building fragments.
- This was done by using a furnace and the hypocaust system carried the heat around the complex.
from Latin hypocaustum, from Greek hupokauston 'place heated from below', from hupo 'under' + kau- (base of kaiein 'to burn').
More definitions of hypocaustDefinition of hypocaust in:
- The US English dictionary