1Relating to the region immediately beneath the skin.
- TpnI 6a exons, the transcripts of which are mainly expressed in larval hypodermic muscles, may have evolved similarly.
1.1(Of a needle or syringe) used to inject a drug or other substance beneath the skin.
- He paid a $200 fine for possession of hypodermic syringes, needles, and other paraphernalia.
- Last week, Riverside County voted 3-2 to reject a proposal to provide clean hypodermic needles to intravenous drug users.
- The force required to move a syringe plunger is measured using a hypodermic syringe tester.
A hypodermic syringe or injection: the hypodermics left strewn around the piazza
More example sentences
- It's comparable to finding junky hypodermics in the gutter at the Magic Kingdom.
- Today one can just use a needle and syringe to inject a drug into the bloodstream, but other means were needed in the days before hypodermics.
- Leave your barrel in the street next to the supermarket trolley, the rotting sofa and the binbag full of used hypodermics.
- Example sentences
- Morphine injected hypodermically was much more powerful and potentially addictive than opium taken orally.
- If it is desirable to stop the sweating abruptly, atropine hypodermically may be resorted to.
- The condition of these patients was alarming but improved under adrenalin hypodermically and artificial respiration.
Words that rhyme with hypodermictaxidermic, thermic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hypo|der¦mic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.