noun (plural hypogea /-ˈdʒiːə/)
- An underground chamber.More example sentences
- On the island of Malta, where great colossal statues of Goddesses still stand, is the underground hypogeum.
- This stingless bee, Trigona hypogea, carries off the youngsters left behind in newly abandoned wasp nests.
- One of the most fascinating parts of this farm is the huge hypogeum olive-press, named after it.
mid 17th century: from Latin, from Greek hupogeion, neuter of hupogeios 'underground'.
More definitions of hypogeumDefinition of hypogeum in:
- The US English dictionary