Definition of hypogynous in English:
(Of a plant or flower) having the stamens and other floral parts situated below the carpels (or gynoecium). Compare with epigynous, perigynous.
- The hypogynous, 5-lobed nectariferous disc considerably exceeds the ovary in volume.
- Flowers are purplish-pink in colour and are hypogynous.
- A flower is hypogynous if the perianth and androecium are inserted around the base of the gynoecium.
- Example sentences
- Lychee seed contain parts of hypogynies like those found in the akee.
- Thus, apparent hypogyny is not homologous with true hypogyny in other angiosperms; in this case it is the result of not very inferior ovaries.
- There are also parallel but less constant series from apocarpy to syncarpy, and from hypogyny through perigyny to epigyny.
Definition of hypogynous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan