(also hypoid gear)
- A bevel wheel with teeth engaging with a spiral pinion mounted at right angles to the wheel’s axis, used to connect non-intersecting shafts in vehicle transmissions and other mechanisms.More example sentences
- Inside the diff, the hypoid ring-and-pinion gear is connected to the left and right half shafts via an electromagnetic clutch on each side.
- Bevel and hypoid gears may be used to transmit power between shafts at practically any angle and speed.
- The swivels, rear end, and transfer case needed hypoids and we used up all we had filling those chambers.
1920s: perhaps a contraction of hyperboloid.
More definitions of hypoidDefinition of hypoid in:
- The US English dictionary