A word of more specific meaning than a general or superordinate term applicable to it. For example, spoon is a hyponym of cutlery. Contrasted with hypernym.
- As we saw in Chapter 7, we can appeal to entailment in order to define the relation between a superordinate term and its hyponyms.
- In many instances, there are abbreviations for the hyponym, but no abbreviation for the more general term.
- Abbreviation hyponyms that have a plural form ending with ‘s’ can all be put into a single list.
- Example sentences
- Paradigmatic relations include relations such as synonymy, hyponymy, opposites (of various kinds), and entailment.
- All we need to do is alter our formula for hyponymy slightly and we come up with another formula for synonymy.
- Thus we see that lexical elements can surface different hyponymies depending on the inclusion chain that is followed.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hypo|nym
Definition of hyponym in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.