Definition of hyponym in English:
A word of more specific meaning than a general or superordinate term applicable to it. For example, spoon is a hyponym of cutlery. Contrasted with hypernym.
- As we saw in Chapter 7, we can appeal to entailment in order to define the relation between a superordinate term and its hyponyms.
- In many instances, there are abbreviations for the hyponym, but no abbreviation for the more general term.
- Abbreviation hyponyms that have a plural form ending with ‘s’ can all be put into a single list.
- Example sentences
- Paradigmatic relations include relations such as synonymy, hyponymy, opposites (of various kinds), and entailment.
- All we need to do is alter our formula for hyponymy slightly and we come up with another formula for synonymy.
- Thus we see that lexical elements can surface different hyponymies depending on the inclusion chain that is followed.
Definition of hyponym in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan