- The longest side of a right-angled triangle, opposite the right angle.More example sentences
- Can we have any other Pythagorean triangles with a Fibonacci number as the hypotenuse (the longest side)?
- In fact it is the length of the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle which had sides of length one.
- In case you have forgotten your high school geometry, the hypotenuse is the side opposite the right angle.
late 16th century: via Latin hypotenusa from Greek hupoteinousa (grammē) 'subtending (line)', from the verb hupoteinein (from hupo 'under' + teinein 'stretch').
More definitions of hypotenuseDefinition of hypotenuse in:
- The US English dictionary