Definition of hypothyroidism in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development in children and adults.
- Rule out other causes such as claudication, disk disease, hypothyroidism, and myositis.
- The commonest cause of hypothyroidism is an autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid gland (thyroiditis).
- Congenital hypothyroidism is a thyroid hormone deficiency that retards growth and brain development.
hypothyroid noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Subclinical hyperthyroid and hypothyroid disease are laboratory diagnoses.
- Except for the sister of the propositus who was diagnosed as hypothyroid, none other had any history of thyroid disease.
- Decompensation into myxedema coma occurs when the hypothyroid patient's homeostatic mechanisms are disrupted.
Definition of hypothyroidism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan