noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A compound which is an intermediate in the metabolism of purines in animals and occurs in plant tissues.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: 6-hydroxypurine; chemical formula: C5H4N4O
- The deamination product of adenine is hypoxanthine, and hypoxanthine base pairs with cytosine rather than thymine.
- Nitrosative deamination of cytosine and adenine results in uracil and hypoxanthine, respectively.
- Adenine is converted to hypoxanthine at 2-3% of the rate of cytosine deamination.
More definitions of hypoxanthineDefinition of hypoxanthine in:
- The US English dictionary